FaceTime has been on the top of the list of reliable video/audio chat platforms for years now. And why wouldn’t it be? It comes loaded with a likable interface, group chat option, and full support of iOS that can easily impress a user. We have compiled this guide to help you download facetime for PC and understand everything about the app.
|Name||Facetime app for windows-macos|
|Compatible||All Windows Version|
|Security||Scanned Virus Free|
|Last Updated||9th August 2020|
Let’s understand its features in detail:
Features of FaceTime App for PC
Apple has equipped FaceTime with an army of features, which are well-liked and suitable for its users. Let’s take a look at it.
Stickers or Memoji
To make your conversation a bit more fun, you can add stickers/memoji while chatting with your loved ones. For example, you can add a comic book vibe to your video chat with the respective filter.
Due to social distancing, we all are locked up at our homes and staying away from our loves ones. Thanks to the group calling feature, you can now FaceTime with up to 32 participants at once. That’s more than enough for a formal meeting or chatting with your extended family.
Open FaceTime from messages
Apple understands our love for shortcuts. That’s why they allow a user to start a FaceTime group call (audio/video) from the messaging app itself. Just click on the group chat in the messages, choose FaceTime audio/video on the top and you are good to go.
Add a participant
Earlier it was not possible for a user to add participants in between a FaceTime call. Now, things have changed. With just a few clicks, you can easily add a number of participants (maximum 32) who didn’t pick your call at first or you just forgot to add them earlier.
A mute switch is an excellent feature when you don’t want others to get disturbed by endless notifications on your phone. Now, FaceTime is equipped with the same as well. By adding more than 1 participant at once, FaceTime will send quit video/audio invites to the people.
Know who is speaking
It doesn’t matter which iOS device you have, it is impossible to fit 32 people on a screen and keep a track of the speaker. Thanks to the iOS 12 update, FaceTime will show the face of the participant who is the primary speaker. You can also swipe right on the screen to see all the participants in a smaller ratio.
Camera shy people will love this
There are some people who hate to show their faces on the camera. Just to keep them happy, FaceTime allows its users to turn off the camera input and only send their voices in a video call.
How to use FaceTime on Mac?
Work from home setup is incomplete without a PC or laptop. If you rock a Mac, then you should know how to use FaceTime to attend the important video chats. But before you learn how to use it, you first have to setup FaceTime for Mac. Let’s understand the process.
Note: Facetime app is preinstalled on your Mac PC. You don’t have to download it.
- Open FaceTime and login with your Apple Id and password.
- Then go to the ‘Preferences’ section and select/deselect email ids that you don’t want to hear from. For example, you don’t want people who have your personal email id to contact you on FaceTime.
- If you want to add a new email id, go to system preferences->iCloud->account details->contacts. Tap the + icon when you are done. Changes will be saved automatically.
Once the setup is complete, let’s understand the process to use it.
- Open the FaceTime app. If you want to make a call with the single person, select his/her name from the contacts. If you want to make a group call, add the names/numbers of the people or simply choose one by one from the contacts.
- Tap on the green button to begin a video chat.
- If you wish to add a person in an active call, tap on the lower-left corner of the call window to show the sidebar, click on ‘Add Person’ to add the details of the participant and tap on ‘Add’ to send an invite.
You may receive FaceTime invites in the future and you should know your way around it. Let’s understand its process.
- If you have opened your FaceTime window, you will get a pop-up notification. In case the app is closed, you will get a notification on the top-right corner of the screen.
- You will get to see the details of the person who is sending the invite.
- Click ‘Accept’ to talk to them and ‘Red Handset’ icon to end the call.
You also have the option to block a caller on FaceTime. Use it when deemed necessary.
Can You Download FaceTime for Windows?
FaceTime can only work on iOS devices. It is not compatible with Windows/Android devices. There are few users who claim to use facetime for windows pc using facetime apk.
You will come across multiple sites online that claim to provide APK files to download facetime for PC. We advise to never ever install those files. They may contain a virus, which can destroy your Windows computer.
It is highly doubtful that a reliable version on FaceTime will ever see the light of the day on Windows/Android devices. So, it’s safe to search for FaceTime alternatives and use them to meet your needs.
Alternatives to FaceTime for Windows & Android
Today, the market is flooded with multiple video conferencing apps for non-iOS users. Among them, we have prepared a list of 5 reliable apps to make you forget the need for FaceTime app for windows pc.
- Skype – It has been in the market for a very long period of time. Skype was designed to run on Windows laptop but with the change in competition, it was revamped to run on all Android platforms. Skype rocks a smooth interface and with the new group feature, you can add up to 50 participants in a single call. Till today, most of the corporates turn to Skype for a formal video call.
- Hangouts – Google wanted to create a reliable platform for its users to chat on. So, Hangouts was born. With the latest update, you can add and message non-Gmail users with ease. For video chat, you can add up to 25 people in a single call. You can also use Google Meet (new version of Hangouts) for video calls.
- Whatsapp – It is the most popular messaging platform in the world (1.5 billion users in 2018). The company keeps on adding new features, which makes messaging a bit more fun. Its latest update has introduced a group call feature, where you can video chat with up to 8 people at once. It is one of the best alternatives of facetime on windows.
- Facebook Messenger – You all must be aware of Facebook? It allows its users to share their posts and check out the recent updates of their friends. Along with that, Facebook has a companion app (messenger), where you can chat with your friends. To keep up with the competition, Facebook Messenger has added a group call feature, which allows its users to add up to 50 people in a single video call.
- Viber – Like every other messaging app, you can chat with your loved ones from any part of the world. As far as video calls are concerned, you can only add up to 5 people at once. That’s too low as compared to the competition. Still, people use this app because of its intuitive design and privacy.
Till the time developers fail to provide an app like FaceTime on windows, non-iOS users have to learn to live with the FaceTime alternatives. The top 5 apps listed above are extremely reliable, secure, and will handle most of your messaging/video chat needs with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1- How to FaceTime international numbers?
Ans- FaceTime only works on iOS and MAC devices and it doesn’t take into account whether the number you are trying to contact is international or local. You just need to click on the FaceTime video/audio button and chat freely. However, there is one thing that you need to remember- FaceTime doesn’t work in countries like Pakistan and Dubai. So, if your contact lives in those countries, you have to look for another app.
Q2- How to share screen on FaceTime?
Ans- There is a simple process to share screen on FaceTime. Let’s take a look at it-
- Open the Messages app and search for the chat of the contact with whom you want to share the screen.
- Click on ‘Details’ on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on ‘Double Screen’ icon. Choose between the options- ‘Invite to share my screen’ and ‘Ask to share screen’.
- The other party will receive your request and accept/decline to proceed to further.
Question 3- How do I fix the FaceTime activation error?
Ans- If FaceTime flashes you an ‘Activation Error’ message, just follow the below process-
- Open settings and turn off ‘iMessage’ and FaceTime’.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Again, go to the settings and turn on ‘iMessage’ and FaceTime’.
Do check you have a stable internet connection. If the problem doesn’t go away, contact the Apple Support at your convenience.
Question 4- How to logout of FaceTime?
Ans- If you want to logout of FaceTime on iPhone/iPad, follow the below-listed steps-
- Open settings and scroll down to find ‘FaceTime’.
- Click on apple id button and tap on ‘Sign out’.
If you want to logout of FaceTime on Mac computer, follow the below-listed steps-
- Open the FaceTime app and navigate to ‘Preferences’.
- Tap on settings and click on ‘Sing out’.
You can sign in again if you wish to.
Q5- How to disable FaceTime on Mac PC?
Ans- If for any reason you wish to disable FaceTime on Mac, just go through the below steps-
- Open the FaceTime app.
- On the menu, tap on ‘FaceTime’.
- Navigate to ‘Preferences’ and uncheck ‘Enable this account’.
You also have the option to tap on ‘Turn off FaceTime’ to stop using the app.
Q6- How to use FaceTime on the iPad?
Ans- It’s good to have a big screen to use FaceTime. To enjoy its services, follow the below-mentioned steps-
- Open FaceTime and click ‘+’ blue icon given at the top.
- Enter the number, name or email id of the person you wish to FaceTime.
- Click on ‘Audio’ or ‘Video’ button to place the call.
Q7- How do I download FaceTime?
Ans- FaceTime comes pre installed on the iOS and Mac devices (not available for non-iOS platforms). You just need to sign in with your Apple ID to activate its services. However, if you somehow manage to delete the app, you can download it again from the App Store. It’s free of cost.
Q8- Can you use FaceTime on PC?
Ans- Sadly, no you cannot use facetime on windows computer. Apple has only designed the app to function on iOS devices. The app is not available on the Play Store. You have to look for other apps (like FaceTime), which are supported on Windows PCs.
Q9- Can I FaceTime on my PC Windows 10?
Ans- No, that won’t work. As FaceTime is an iOS centred app, you won’t be able to download it on Windows PC. Also, there is no way of knowing if FaceTime will be available on Windows PC in the future. So, it’s better to look for other apps to meet your video/audio chat needs.
Q10- Is FaceTime app for Computer/PC legit?
Ans- If you google ‘FaceTime for PC’, you will come across multiple sites claiming to sell FaceTime APK. But there is one problem in downloading such files- zero authenticity. Right now, FaceTime is not available on non-iOS devices. Such Facetime APK files are listed on the internet by unreliable sources and these files can turn out to be some sort of virus and damage your PC. It’s recommended to stay away from them.
Q11- Is FaceTime better than Skype?
Ans- There is no correct way to answer such a question. Both apps are designed to meet video/audio chat requirements and do fairly well in the market. FaceTime has proven to be a master in terms of privacy (as it is backed by Apple), but can’t function in countries like Pakistan and Dubai.
Skype is an old app and mainly used by corporate professionals. It works all around the globe. To sum it up, FaceTime works on iOS devices and non-iOS users who can’t use FaceTime rely on Skype to meet their needs.
Q12- Can you FaceTime with Skype?
Ans- FaceTime and Skype are available on iOS devices. Both are different applications and require separate accounts to function. So, there is no way to use them together.
Q13- Can you FaceTime on Android?
Ans- No. Android users can’t use FaceTime because it is only available for iOS devices. There is no hack or APK file, which can help you with it. Either you switch over to iOS or download other alternatives like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc that will run well on Android devices.
Q14- Can I install FaceTime on my laptop/computer?
Ans- If you are using a Windows laptop/computer, FaceTime for windows won’t work on it. Why? Because Apple has only designed FaceTime to run on iOS devices like iPhone, Mac and iPad. You may find FaceTime APK files on the internet, but they are untrustworthy and can harm your device significantly.